|CALL CENTRAL RESERVATIONS HOTLINE - 086 199 1199||CAREERS||A MEMBER OF THE
ORION HOTELS GROUP
The Mont-aux-sources peak was named by two French missionaries, Arbousset and Daumas who pursued an extensive exploration of the area from 1836 to 1846 and produced a seminal source on pre-colonial Basotho history. They named the peaks Mont-aux-sources because the range is the source of several major rivers including the Tugela, which plunges into the world’s second tallest waterfall.
The region is of massive archaeological importance stretching back to the early, mid and late stone ages. The earliest inhabitants of the region are from the Mesolithic period before 20,000 BP. In the late thirteenth century iron age farmers moved in to the lower foot hills of the area blogs.asburyseminary.edu. In the sixteenth century the cattle-herding Zizi and Thoto people moved to the area living peacefully with the indigenous San people. Large areas were settled by the Voortrekkers after 1837 where they raised cattle on the plentiful grass lands.